Fake the Bake:
There’s no denying that that tanned skin will make you look younger and skinnier, and with summer always just around the corner, everyone will soon be vying for that well-rested, healthy summer glow. Before you head to the nearest beach or tanning bed, consider today’s UV-free alternative: the self-tanner, which will leave your skin a golden color without the damaging and wrinkle-causing effects of a real tan.
Self-tanners were developed in response to the link between UV-ray exposure and skin cancer, first discovered in the 1960s. And while self-tanners have been around for years, today’s self-tanning products are a far cry from their stinky, orange glow-producing ancestors. Today’s best self-tanning products are easy to apply, won’t look streaky or runny on your skin, and will have leave an ultra-natural glow that will last for days.
Maid In The Shade - Choosing Your Perfect Self-tanner:
Let’s face it, your best friend’s favorite self tanner may be the wrong color when applied to your skin tone. This is where reading directions on packaging is critical: most products darken over time, and it can take as long as 24 hours for the color to fully “develop”. As a rule of thumb, it is always easier to start out with a lighter self-tanner than change a color that looks too dark for you. Most products will continue to darken your coloring with each application.
In addition to the products which promise a rich-looking tan, or those that will only get you glowing a few shades darker than your natural skin color, your skin type can dictate the best product for you. Those with dry skin should choose a hydrating formula, while those with oily skin types can go with a gel, lotion, or spray that is formulated just for them.
Application Is Key:
No matter which self-tanner you choose, your results will depend on how the product is applied. Here are some helpful steps to make sure that your first experience with sunless tanning won’t be your last:
1. First-time users should apply a test-patch of product on their skin and evaluate for 24 hours for possible contact dermatitis.
2. Exfoliate in the shower with a loofah or an exfoliating scrub, and dry your skin completely.
3. Divide your body into sections and work the product into your skin one section at a time
4. Apply a consistent amount of product everywhere
5. Rub in small circles rather than long strokes, and be consistent with the amount of product used in each area.
6. Go lightly around feet, hands, and elbows! These thicker-skin areas absorb product quickly, resulting in color variations.
7. After application, avoid contact with clothing or water for any where from fifteen minutes to six hours – or until product is completely absorbed by the skin.
8. Faux No! Don’t worry if you get a streak: simply cut a lemon in half and rub over darker area. The natural citric acid will exfoliate the skin and correct the mistake!
Here are the best self-tanning products on the market:
With the best sunless tanners, you get that healthy bronze look without the danger of UV rays. We recommend the best spray tan and other bronzer choices that will leave you looking like you spent days at the beach.