Best Self Tanners
There’s no denying that that tanned skin will make you look younger and skinnier, and with summer always just around the corner, everyone will soon be vying for that well-rested, healthy summer glow. Before you head to the nearest beach or tanning bed, consider today’s UV-free alternative: the self-tanner, which will leave your skin a golden color without the damaging and wrinkle-causing effects of a real tan.
Self-tanners were developed in response to the link between UV-ray exposure and skin cancer, first discovered in the 1960s. And while self-tanners have been around for years, today’s self-tanning products are a far cry from their stinky, orange glow-producing ancestors. Today’s best self-tanning products are easy to apply, won’t look streaky or runny on your skin, and will have leave an ultra-natural glow that will last for days.
Maid In The Shade - Choosing Your Perfect Self-tanner:
Let’s face it, your best friend’s favorite self tanner may be the wrong color when applied to your skin tone. This is where reading directions on packaging is critical: most products darken over time, and it can take as long as 24 hours for the color to fully “develop”. As a rule of thumb, it is always easier to start out with a lighter self-tanner than change a color that looks too dark for you. Most products will continue to darken your coloring with each application.
In addition to the products which promise a rich-looking tan, or those that will only get you glowing a few shades darker than your natural skin color, your skin type can dictate the best product for you. Those with dry skin should choose a hydrating formula, while those with oily skin types can go with a gel, lotion, or spray that is formulated just for them.
Application Is Key:
No matter which self-tanner you choose, your results will depend on how the product is applied. Here are some helpful steps to make sure that your first experience with sunless tanning won’t be your last:
1. First-time users should apply a test-patch of product on their skin and evaluate for 24 hours for possible contact dermatitis.
2. Exfoliate in the shower with a loofah or an exfoliating scrub, and dry your skin completely.
3. Divide your body into sections and work the product into your skin one section at a time
4. Apply a consistent amount of product everywhere
5. Rub in small circles rather than long strokes, and be consistent with the amount of product used in each area.
6. Go lightly around feet, hands, and elbows! These thicker-skin areas absorb product quickly, resulting in color variations.
7. After application, avoid contact with clothing or water for any where from fifteen minutes to six hours – or until product is completely absorbed by the skin.
8. Faux No! Don’t worry if you get a streak: simply cut a lemon in half and rub over darker area. The natural citric acid will exfoliate the skin and correct the mistake!
Here are the best self-tanning products on the market:
Body Expert Reviews
Best Self Tanners
Get the tan you want without the damaging UV rays.
Best Summer Fragrances
Get a vacation in a bottle with these summer perfumes.
Best Organic Mens Grooming Products
Masculine products for grooming naturally.
Best Womens Moisturizer
The BEST Women's Moisturizer by Tibesti
Best Body Scrubs & Treatments
The Best Body Scrub & Treatments by Tibesti!
Best Body Bronzers
The Best Body Bronzers by Tibesti!
The Best Soaps by Tibesti!
Best Beauty Products for Pregnant Women
The Best Beauty Products for Pregnant Women!
Shop Best Selling Body Products
- Penaten Baby Cream Crème Large, 5.1-Ounce
- Magnesium Oil 64 fl oz (1.9 l) Liquid
- DCL AHA Revitalizing Lotion 15 4 oz.
- Bath & Body Works Coconut Summer Vanillas Body Lotion 8fl Oz
- Clarins Super Restorative Redefining Body Care (Abdomen & Waist), 6.9-Ounce Box
- Liquid Castor Oil 8 Ounces
- Calgon Body Mist, Hawaiian Ginger, 8 fl oz (236 ml)
- Chest-A-Peel Heart Pillow
- OPI Avojuice Skin Quenchers- Orange Almond Juice 6.6 oz
- Mary Kay Velocity® Facial Cleanser,5 fl. oz.
- Victoria Secret Kissing in Paris Body Mist Secret Moments 8.4 Oz
- Vaseline Cocoa Butter Body Butter, 8-Ounces Jars (Pack of 3)
- BATH & BODY WORKS LAVENDAR VANILLA "SLEEP" SUGAR SCRUB AROMATHERAPY FULL SIZE 13 oz
- Bath and Body Works Signature Collection Cucumber Melon Body Lotion, 8 oz, new bottle style
- Victoria's Secret Pink Bold & Playfull Hand and Body Cream
- Dragon 88 Brand Alum Crystals 8 Oz - 227g Bag
- Bath and Body Works Black Amethyst Fragrance Mist (formerly known as body splash), 8 oz.
- Bliss Lemon + Sage Body Butter 8.5 fl oz (250 ml)
- Garnier Nutritioniste Skin Renew Overnight Regenerating Cream 1.7 fl oz (50 ml)
- Organic Dead Sea Black Mineral Mud, box of 6 - 5.1oz packets
- Verbena Body Salt Scrub
- Gap Blue No 655 for Him Eau De Toilette 2 Oz - FULL SIZE
- Vaseline Body Lotion, Sheer Infusion, Vitamin Burst-6.8, oz. (Pack of 4)
- Tree Hut Body Scrub, Original Shea, 18-Ounce Jars (Pack of 3)
- Bath & Body Works Deep Aqua Cooling Body Souffle Signature Collection 6 fl oz (177 ml)
- Dermalogica Ultimate Buffing Cloth
- Wibi Dry Skin Lotion - 16 oz
- Mascara Shield
- Jergens Natural Glow Revitalizing Daily Moisturizer, Fair Skin Tones 7.5 fl oz
- Vegetable Glycerin Oil 4 oz 4 Ounces
- Ginger and Orange Body Lotion 14.9 oz 14.90 Ounces
- Cooling Scarf Reusable Body Cooler One Size Fits All
- Bath & Body Works signature collection Butterfly Flower Body Lotion
- Roger & Gallet Bamboo Body Lotion 200 ml lotion
- Gold Bond Medicated Anti-Itch Lotion-5.5oz (Pack of 3)
- Kiehls Gently Exfoliating Body Scrub - Grapefruit
Top Body Brands
- Archipelago Botanicals
- Asquith & Somerset
- Bath & Body Works
- Carol Wright Gifts
- Dragon 88
- European Soaps
- Fade Out
- Famous Dave's Tanner
- Fruit of the Earth
- H2O Plus
- Heritage Store
- Irish Spring
- LHG SPORTS
- Mary Kay
- Nubian Heritage
- Organic Dead Sea
- Perfect Organics
- Pure Life Soap
- Red Flower
- Swanson Ultra
- Therapy Best Buys
- Tree Hut
- Victoria's Secret
Shop Beauty Categories
- Hair Care