Best Self Tanners
There’s no denying that that tanned skin will make you look younger and skinnier, and with summer always just around the corner, everyone will soon be vying for that well-rested, healthy summer glow. Before you head to the nearest beach or tanning bed, consider today’s UV-free alternative: the self-tanner, which will leave your skin a golden color without the damaging and wrinkle-causing effects of a real tan.
Self-tanners were developed in response to the link between UV-ray exposure and skin cancer, first discovered in the 1960s. And while self-tanners have been around for years, today’s self-tanning products are a far cry from their stinky, orange glow-producing ancestors. Today’s best self-tanning products are easy to apply, won’t look streaky or runny on your skin, and will have leave an ultra-natural glow that will last for days.
Maid In The Shade - Choosing Your Perfect Self-tanner:
Let’s face it, your best friend’s favorite self tanner may be the wrong color when applied to your skin tone. This is where reading directions on packaging is critical: most products darken over time, and it can take as long as 24 hours for the color to fully “develop”. As a rule of thumb, it is always easier to start out with a lighter self-tanner than change a color that looks too dark for you. Most products will continue to darken your coloring with each application.
In addition to the products which promise a rich-looking tan, or those that will only get you glowing a few shades darker than your natural skin color, your skin type can dictate the best product for you. Those with dry skin should choose a hydrating formula, while those with oily skin types can go with a gel, lotion, or spray that is formulated just for them.
Application Is Key:
No matter which self-tanner you choose, your results will depend on how the product is applied. Here are some helpful steps to make sure that your first experience with sunless tanning won’t be your last:
1. First-time users should apply a test-patch of product on their skin and evaluate for 24 hours for possible contact dermatitis.
2. Exfoliate in the shower with a loofah or an exfoliating scrub, and dry your skin completely.
3. Divide your body into sections and work the product into your skin one section at a time
4. Apply a consistent amount of product everywhere
5. Rub in small circles rather than long strokes, and be consistent with the amount of product used in each area.
6. Go lightly around feet, hands, and elbows! These thicker-skin areas absorb product quickly, resulting in color variations.
7. After application, avoid contact with clothing or water for any where from fifteen minutes to six hours – or until product is completely absorbed by the skin.
8. Faux No! Don’t worry if you get a streak: simply cut a lemon in half and rub over darker area. The natural citric acid will exfoliate the skin and correct the mistake!
Here are the best self-tanning products on the market:
Sun Expert Reviews
Best Self Tanners
Get the tan you want without the damaging UV rays.
Best Eco Sunscreens
Protect your skin against Sun damage the natural way.
Best Sunscreens with Benefits
Apply sunscreens additional benefits like anti-aging.
Best Sun Protection Sunscreen from Tibesti
Best Sunscreens for Your Face
The Best Sunscreens for Your Face!
Shop Best Selling Sun Products
- Neutrogena Wet Skin Sunblock Spray SPF 85+, 0.3125-Pound
- Fake Bake Self Tanning Lotion 6 oz.
- Neutrogena Wet Skin Junior Sunblock Spray SPF 70, 5 Ounce
- Vanicream Sunscreen Sport, Spf 35, 4-ounce
- Sun Self Tanning Lotion Ultra Dark Instant Tint - Dark 8oz/236ml
- St. Tropez Self Tan Bronzing Mousse, 8.0-Fluid Ounces Pump Bottle
- Banana Boat Quik Dri Sport Body & Scalp Spray Sunscreen SPF 30: 6 OZ
- Body Drench Quick Tan * 3 - Pack * Instant Self-tanning Spray * 6 Oz Can
- Neutrogena Ultra Sheer Dry-Touch Sunblock, SPF 100, 3 Ounce
- Coretex SunX SPF30 Sunscreen Towelettes - 25 Individual Foil Pouch Towelettes/Box, PABA Free, Oil-free, Water and Sweat Resistant, UVA/UVB Protection, Easy Wipe on Application!
- Designer Skin Obsidian 30x Bronzing Matrix Tanning Lotion, 13.5-Ounce
- Banana Boat Summer Color Self-Tanning Lotion, Deep Dark Color, For All Skin Tones, 6-Ounce Tubes (Pack of 3)
- Designer Skin Black, 13.5-Ounce Bottle
- La Roche-Posay Anthelios SX Daily Moisturizing Cream SPF 15 with Mexoryl SX, 3.4-Ounces
- Designer Skin Luminary Bronzer, 13.5-Ounces
- Mustela High Protection Sun Lotion SPF 50 - 1.67 oz.
- Blue Lizard Australian Sunscreen SPF 30+ Sport, 3-Ounce
- Neutrogena Ultra Sheer Sunblock Body Mist, SPF 45, 5 Ounce
- BurnOut SPF 30+ KIDS Physical Sunscreen
- thinksport LIVESTRONG sunscreen SPF 30+, 3 ounces
- Australian Gold Accelerator 8.5 OZ
- Alba Botanica SunBlock, Mineral protection, Kids SPF 30, 4-Ounce Tube, (Pack of 2)
- Skinceuticals Sheer Physical Uv Defense SPF 50 Broad-spectrum Sunscreen Fluid, 1.7-Ounce
- TanTowel Self-Tan Towelette Classic 10 PACK
- Fallene Cotz SPF 58 Water Resistant UVB/UVA Sunscreen for Sensitive Skin, 2.5-Ounce Tube
- thinkbaby sunscreen SPF30+ benefiting LIVESTRONG, 3 ounces
- Neutrogena Pure and Free Baby Lotion SPF 60, 5.0-Ounces
- Blue Lizard Australian Suncream, Regular SPF 30+, 5-Ounce
- Eltamd UV Physical SPF 41, 85-Gram
- Fruit Of The Earth Aloe Vera 100% Gel, Crystal Clear 24 oz (680 g)
- Designer Skin Worship Me, 13.5-Ounce Bottle
- Neutrogena Ultra Sheer Dry-Touch Sunblock, SPF 70, 3 Ounce
- Neutrogena Spectrum+ Sunblock Spray SPF 100+, 5-Ounce
- Aveeno Sun Natural Protection Baby SPF 50 Stick, 0.5 Ounce
- Zinka Colored Sunblock Zinc Waterproof Nosecoat 3 Pack Bundle - Blue Pink Green
- New White 2 Black Indoor Tanning Bed Lotion By Devoted Creations
Top Sun Brands
- Alba Botanica
- Australian Gold
- Banana Boat
- Beyond Coastal
- Blue Lizard
- Body Drench
- California Baby
- Designer Skin
- Fake Bake
- Hawaiian Tropic
- Jason Natural Cosmetics
- La Roche-Posay
- Maui Babe
- St. Tropez
- Sun Laboratories
- Sun X
- Tan Towel
Shop Beauty Categories
- Hair Care